Elementary Math, Science, and Engineering Teacher
Elementary Math, Science, and Engineering Teacher
|Office:||BASIS Independent Manhattan|
BASIS Independent Manhattan is seeking qualified candidates for an Elementary Math, Science and Engineering Teaching Fellow for the 2019/2020 School Year!
This is a Teaching Fellow position that may lead to a full teaching position.
Who We Are
BASIS Independent Schools is a network of PreK-grade 12 private schools raising the standards of student learning to the highest international levels. In five years, we have established five leading private schools in some of the world's most dynamic regions, including New York City, Silicon Valley, and Northern Virginia, with more campuses opening in the coming years. BASIS Independent Schools is building a team of talented, passionate, and hard-working educators to ensure our students receive the best education in the world. Join us!
What We're Looking For
In this teaching position, you use your passion for your subject to inspire and teach higher-level content than what is typical for young students. In the classrooms, you work collaboratively with elementary teachers who are responsible for managing the the social-emotional and academic development, periods of transition, and parental communications for a cohort of students.
BASIS Curriculum Primary School Teachers are knowledgeable, passionate and believe in developing independence, responsibility and autonomy in students at a young age. Our 1-4 classrooms are co-taught with not one, but two elementary teachers co-creating with students at all times. Our Learning Expert Teachers (LETs) cultivate a joyful learning culture where hard work is celebrated and where intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary student outcomes. Our Subject Expert Teachers (SETs) focus more intensely on student academic growth in their particular area of expertise. These two types of elementary teachers collaborate within our symbiotic classroom to find the best ways to deliver a top-tier education, ensure student engagement, and create an environment where students will understand and retain what they learn. Our elementary teachers love teaching and our students love learning. BASIS Curriculum teachers celebrate the art of elementary education and, guided by the belief that any child can excel, our elementary teachers' deep pedagogical expertise ensures that each student receives a world-class education.
Your Primary Responsibilities
- Teach higher level content than grade standard in an interactive learning environment to deliver exceptional results for all students.
- Instruct students in content-specific knowledge and skills to heighten the trajectory of their academic and career success.
- Implement the BASIS Curriculum by working closely with Learning Expert Teachers to deliver effective and creative lessons and assessments to display your passion for teaching and educate students at an internationally competitive level.
- Collaborate with other BASIS Curriculum Teachers to form a community of smart, talented and interesting people who are passionate about their work and readily willing to work in a professional and academic environment.
- Guide student behavior to foster academic achievement, personal responsibility, intellect and individuality in all students.
Depending on the campus, Teaching Fellows may engage in any or all of the following activities:
- Classroom teaching both part-time and subbing
- Assisting teachers with classroom management
- Student academic support and tutoring
- Assisting classroom teachers with events, labs, and testing
- Working with teachers in evaluating student progress and gains
- Proctoring assessments
- Monitoring and managing student's non-scheduled time, to include Early Bird and Late Bird supervision and Lunch Monitor responsibilities
- Monitoring and managing study groups
- Coordinating homework and assignments for absent students
- Assisting Directors of Student Affairs and Deans with managing behavior and discipline
- Assisting Directors of Academic Programs with execution of key programs
Essential Teacher Qualifications
- Able to differentiate instruction
- Able to create positive classroom community and build relationships with students
- Able to engage students in rigorous content and well-planned, well-paced lessons
- Skilled in classroom management (high warm and high firm)
- Has excitement, joy and passion for teaching kids and personal development/learning
- Has strong verbal and written communication skills with kids, employees, and parents
- Open to feedback and continuous growth
- Creative in instructional and classroom management strategies
- Cooperative, supportive, flexible
- Well organized
- Has a strong work ethic and "do whatever it takes" mind set
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree in the subject area. Coursework or experience in education is not required, nor is certification. Candidates must have the ability to obtain a fingerprint clearance card.
Preferred Qualifications: Master's degree in Teaching or Education is preferred. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Critically, an applicant must possess a high GPA in his/her major, excellent recommendations, experience working with children- not necessarily in the classroom- and be open to new ideas in teaching.
The Nitty Gritty
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Career Growth - We believe our people deserve every opportunity to utilize and expand their knowledge and skills, and to share their passions. From our classrooms to central operations, our culture is one of continuous learning, mentorship, and professional advancement in our schools or across our network.
- Retirement - Your future financial well-being is important to us. Even if you don't contribute to your 401K, we will contribute 3% and will match up to 9% after five years.
- Health Insurance - We want you to have the care you need. We offer three PPO medical plans to choose from, as well as dental and vision insurance.
- Flexible Spending - Because health, childcare, and travel expenses can add up, we offer an FSA that allows for pre-tax dollars to cover medical, dependent care, and transit.
- Student Tuition Remission - You help us create a world-class program for our students. To show our appreciation, we offer your children significant tuition remission to attend our schools.
Note: BASIS Independent Schools, LLC (BINS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants for employment and employees are provided equal employment opportunities, including in recruitment, hiring and assignment, without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion and religious creed, sex (including pregnancy and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital or familial status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, military/veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law. BINS expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee or student harassment or discrimination.
Job Reference #: 1124814