Dean of Students- Primary School
BASIS Independent McLean is seeking qualified candidates for a Dean of Students for Grades 1-3!
Who We Are
BASIS Independent Schools is a network of private schools spanning Toddlers through grade 12 raising the standards of student learning to the highest international levels. In five years, we established five leading private schools in some of the world's most dynamic regions, including New York City, Silicon Valley, and Northern Virginia, with more campuses opening in the coming years. BASIS Independent Schools is building a team of talented, passionate, and hard-working educators to ensure our students receive the best education in the world. Join us!
What We're Looking For
BASIS Independent McLean is a toddler-grade 12 private school. As Dean of Students, reporting to the Director of the division, you help lead the efforts to build and maintain a strong, positive, achievement-oriented school culture. You will manage the overall student experience for the division and establish strong, mutually respectful relationships with both students and families. This position is a visible presence in all areas of the school and is responsible for all issues relating to the well-being of the students at school.
Your Primary Responsibilities
- Coordinate planning and preparation for the Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) program for students in grades 1-3
- Organize and review results of various student assessments
- Maintain student discipline and follow through with documentation
- Coordinate student academic and behavior support interventions
- Build strong relationships with grade 1-3 students and teachers through frequent and consistent classroom visits and routine student observations
- Support the unique social-emotional and academic needs of students who range from grades 1-3 in developmentally appropriate ways
- Help conduct Family Meetings and Playdates for Admissions
- Spend time in classrooms providing coverage for grade 1-3 teachers when subbing needs are stretched, but also so that teachers can complete peer observations, plan together, etc.
- Coordinate the planning and preparation for new student orientation and meet periodically with first-year students
- Attend parent meetings in grades 1-3 following a suspension, leave of absence, or as-needed to support students on re-entry, academic and behavioral intervention plans, and building positive relationships with parents, teachers and other students
- Collaborate with teachers, Deans and Directors in the review of progress reports and make recommendations for student academic support interventions
- Perform other administrative duties including but not limited to participation in faculty and staff meetings, documenting conversations with parents, teachers and students, and monitoring student activities
A strong candidate for this position will possess:
- strong relationship building skills
- the ability to effectively analyze data to improve student well-being
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- the ability to exercise excellent judgment and decision making
- excellent problem solving and negotiating skills
- the ability to work independently with diverse constituents while maintaining high professional standards
- exemplary organizational skills along with the ability to establish and manage multiple priorities and the ability to work under pressure
- outstanding attention to detail and accuracy
- patience, flexibility and a sense of humor
- Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education, Psychology, Social Work, or Counseling
- Experience (3-5 years) working with grade 1-3 students in a professional setting
- Individual has a background with implementing or developing Social Emotional Learning Programming
- Candidates must have the ability to obtain a fingerprint clearance and pass a background check
- Must bring a clear TB test/screen on first day of employment.
The Nitty Gritty
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Career Growth - We believe our people deserve every opportunity to utilize and expand their knowledge and skills, and to share their passions. From our classrooms to central operations, our culture is one of continuous learning, mentorship, and professional advancement in our schools or across our network.
- Retirement - Your future financial well-being is important to us. Eligible participants may receive a 50% Company match for the first 10% of employee earnings deferred.
- Health Insurance - We want you to have the care you need. We offer three PPO medical plans to choose from, as well as dental and vision insurance.
- Flexible Spending - Because health, childcare, and travel expenses can add up, we offer an FSA that allows for pre-tax dollars to cover medical, dependent care, and transit.
- Student Tuition Remission - You help us create a world-class program for our students. To show our appreciation, we offer your children significant tuition remission to attend our schools.
Note: Spring Education Group, including, but not limited to SEG Inc., BASIS Independent Schools, LLC, and their affiliates (collectively "Company") is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants for employment and employees are provided equal employment opportunities, including in recruitment, hiring, and assignment, without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion and religious creed, sex (including pregnancy and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital or familial status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, military/veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. The Company expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee or student harassment or discrimination.