Elementary Art Teacher (Long-term Substitute)
BASIS Independent Brooklyn is seeking qualified candidates for Elementary Art Teacher (long-term substitute) to begin immediately.
BASIS Independent teachers are knowledgeable, passionate, and believe in transforming education. As part of a uniquely collaborative and professional teaching community, BASIS teachers motivate students to reach their highest potential, while also elevating their own skills through peer collaboration and a culture where learning is of the greatest importance.
As an Art Teacher, it is primarily your responsibility to develop engaging, content-rich subject specific lesson plans, and to teach students about different art mediums, history, and how art is influenced by, and in turn influences, our culture and society.
Elementary Art teachers lay a foundation by incorporating different artistic mediums, techniques, history, and student displays. Primary Art teachers also have the unique opportunity and ability to collaborate with other Subject Expert Teachers to incorporate and enhance student learning by blending art content with other subjects, such as history. Our Art Teachers are passionate and excited to teach their students in innovative ways, and our students are eager to learn and grow.
Primary Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare subject specific lessons in Art for elementary school-aged students.
- Provide subject instruction on a higher level than grade standard, in an interactive learning environment and deliver exceptional results for all students.
- Implement BASIS Curriculum by designing effective and creative lessons and assessments to ensure students’ education is at an internationally competitive level.
- Collaborate with other BASIS Independent teachers to form a community of smart, talented and interesting people who are passionate about education and readily willing to work in a professional, academic environment.
- Tutor students in content-specific knowledge and skills to heighten the trajectory of students’ academic and career success.
- Manage student behavior to foster academic achievement, personal responsibility, intellect and individuality in all students.
- A Bachelor’s degree in art or related field; or a degree in Elementary/Primary Education with additional course work, or special certification for Art teaching
- Documentation of passage of a state or national authorized subject test in the teaching area may fulfill the special certification.
- Minimum two years teaching experience as a lead teacher required
- Must be able to successfully pass a background clearance
Preferred: Subject matter postgraduate work (Master’s or Ph.D.) is preferred. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Must be open to new ideas in teaching.
The Nitty Gritty
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Career Growth - We believe our people deserve every opportunity to utilize and expand their knowledge and skills, and to share their passions. From our classrooms to central operations, our culture is one of continuous learning, mentorship, and professional advancement in our schools or across our network.
- Retirement - Your future financial well-being is important to us. Eligible participants may receive a 50% Company match for the first 10% of employee earnings deferred.
- Health Insurance - We want you to have the care you need. We offer three PPO medical plans to choose from, as well as dental and vision insurance.
- Flexible Spending - Because health, childcare, and travel expenses can add up, we offer an FSA that allows for pre-tax dollars to cover medical, dependent care, and transit.
- Student Tuition Remission - You help us create a world-class program for our students. To show our appreciation, we offer your children significant tuition remission to attend our schools.
Note: Spring Education Group, including, but not limited to SEG Inc., BASIS Independent Schools, LLC, and their affiliates (collectively "Company") is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants for employment and employees are provided equal employment opportunities, including in recruitment, hiring, and assignment, without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion and religious creed, sex (including pregnancy and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital or familial status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, military/veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. The Company expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee or student harassment or discrimination.