Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.Join our Talent Community
Head of Operations
Head of Operations
|Office:||BASIS Independent Brooklyn|
BASIS Independent Brooklyn is seeking qualified candidates for a Head of Operations!
Who we are...
The mission of BASIS Independent Schools is to redefine education by raising the levels of student learning to the highest international standards. Every BASIS Independent school provides a joyful learning community where hard work is celebrated and intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary outcomes. In just a few years, we have established five highly-regarded private schools (PreK-12) in some of the world's most dynamic regions: New York City, Silicon Valley, and Northern Virginia, with more campuses opening in the coming years. BASIS Independent Schools is building a team of talented, passionate, and hard-working professionals to ensure our students receive the best education in the world. Join us!
What you should expect...
The Head of Operations is charged with the comprehensive responsibility for all business functions of the school and ensuring its financial and academic success through strong partnership with the Head of School. The Head of Operations is accountable for helping to build and maintain a culture of teamwork and support among the staff and enabling the faculty to deliver outstanding classroom instruction while meeting annual budgetary targets. He or she manages the school facilities and information technology infrastructure, oversees all outside services and procurement, and provides on-site human resources management. The Head of Operations also works closely with the academic team to ensure high standards of customer service for our parents.
- Acts as the business leader of the school, responsible for day to day operation of its facility and services, its culture and sense of community, and its customer service centered approach
- Performs budget management in conjunction with the central Finance department including bookkeeping and inventory; tuition and fee collection; purchasing, procurement and contract execution
- Develops RFPs for new services and manages existing contracts and relationships for all services and supplies including student meals, student transportation, facilities maintenance, cleaning and security; classroom materials; and administrative supplies.
- Collaborates on creation of robust auxiliary and summer programs, oversees their budget creation, and ensures associated revenue targets are met
- Serves as a consultant to all staff and faculty in matters of human resources and manages all associated on-site functions including payroll review, hiring & onboarding, leave coordination, performance management documentation, terminations etc.
- Coordinates with central Human Resources department on employee related needs and matters
Facility & IT Management
- Oversees the physical operation of the school facility including maintenance, repairs and renovations; safety and security; waste management and janitorial; supply procurement
- Manages technology infrastructure and systems (with the help of on- and off-site support at all levels) including the schools data network, laptop and tablet devices, CCTV and VOIP systems, access controls, and classroom display technologies
- Develops, maintains and reports all required environmental, health, safety and maintenance standards required by law and/or central policy
- Oversees the activities of the Facility Manager, Directors of Operations and Auxiliary Programs, information technology and safety coordinators, and meets regularly with them to ensure quality of infrastructure and services
- Provides strong leadership and direction and maintains high morale
School & Workplace Community
- Ensures an environment in which a world-class academic program can be achieved through a school climate that is supportive and high morale
- Conducts regular meetings with staff to exchange information and ideas
- Ensures that the students and faculty needs are met promptly and within budget through a strong working relationship with the Head of School
Enrollment & Admissions
- Works collaboratively and proactively with the admissions team by providing logistical support for prospective information meetings, family meetings, and select community events to ensure that the school meets annual recruitment goals
- Works collaboratively with the marketing team to ensure proper brand and marketing efforts are facilitated in the school and within the community
- Demonstrated knowledge of management principles and practices with the ability to act analytically and strategically to quickly solve problems
- Sound understanding of basic finance and accounting practices and principles
- Ability to promote teamwork and a proven record of strong leadership
- Excellent computer skills; ability to learn and effectively utilize software tools including purchasing, financial, contract management and ticketing software in addition to a strong working knowledge of Excel.
- Excellent negotiating skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and a collaborative management style
- Exemplary organizational skills; ability to establish and manage multiple priorities; ability to work under pressure
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Desire to work in a role and environment serving children
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and decision making
- Ability to work independently with diverse constituents while maintaining high professional standards
- Willingness to be hands-on in order to ensure that school operational needs are met
- Patience, flexibility and a sense of humor
- Highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and creative
- Bachelors Degree in finance, business administration or similar; Masters preferred
- 5-7 years experience in facilities, operations, hospitality management or similar
The Nitty Gritty...
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Getting to Campus: School is accessible by NYC ferry, subway, bus or car.
Note: BASIS Independent Schools, LLC (BINS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants for employment and employees are provided equal employment opportunities, including in recruitment, hiring and assignment, without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion and religious creed, sex (including pregnancy and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital or familial status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, military/veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law. BINS expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee or student harassment or discrimination.
Job Reference #: 879202