Instrumental (Band/Orchestra) Music Teacher
BASIS Independent Silicon Valley is seeking qualified candidates for an Instrumental (Band/Orchestra) Music Teacher for the 2021-22 school year!
Who We Are
BASIS Independent Schools is a network of PreK-grade 12 private schools raising the standards of student learning to the highest international levels. In five years, we have established five leading private schools in some of the world's most dynamic regions, including New York City, Silicon Valley, and Northern Virginia, with more campuses opening in the coming years. BASIS Independent Schools is building a team of talented, passionate, and hard-working educators to ensure our students receive the best education in the world. Join us!
What We're Looking For
As an orchestra and band teacher, you will have the opportunity to introduce band and orchestra students to varied and challenging repertoire, while also building on music history and theory concepts. Music theory concepts covered include written theory, aural skills, and composition; while music history is taught through learning about composers and listening to major musical works from different style periods.
Orchestra and band teachers also expand students’ music skills by working on posture, tone, technique, intonation, expression, and overall musicianship. You will guide students to achieve musical goals both as individuals and as a group, while building a foundation for future musical experiences, whether as a performer or audience member. You will also collaborate with other Fine Arts teachers for school produced shows and events. BASIS Independent teachers are encouraged to bring their own passion and experiences with their subject into the classroom to spark students’ interest and curiosity, and engage them with the material.
Primary Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare subject specific lessons in Music.
- Collaborate with other Fine Arts teachers for school produced shows and events.
- Provide subject instruction on a higher level than grade standard, in an interactive learning environment and delivering exceptional results for all students.
- Implement BASIS Curriculum by designing effective and creative lessons and assessments to ensure students’ education is at an internationally competitive level.
- Collaborate with other BASIS Independent teachers to create interdisciplinary lessons and incorporate music as a part of other areas of knowledge.
- Tutor students in content-specific knowledge and skills to heighten the trajectory of students’ academic and career success.
- Manage student behavior to foster academic achievement, personal responsibility, intellect and individuality in all students.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Music or Music Education; in addition to a Bachelor’s degree, a major (24-30 credit hours) or advanced degree in the teaching subject fulfills the highly qualified requirement.
- Documentation of passage of a state or national authorized subject test in the teaching area may fulfill the special certification.
- Minimum two years teaching experience as a lead teacher required.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background clearance.
Preferred: Subject matter postgraduate work (Master’s or Ph.D.) is preferred. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Must be open to new ideas in teaching. Practical experience in performing, composing, or recording music is strongly preferred.
The Nitty Gritty
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Career Growth - We believe our people deserve every opportunity to utilize and expand their knowledge and skills, and to share their passions. From our classrooms to central operations, our culture is one of continuous learning, mentorship, and professional advancement in our schools or across our network.
- Retirement - Your future financial well-being is important to us. Eligible participants may receive a 50% Company match for the first 10% of employee earnings deferred.
- Health Insurance - We want you to have the care you need. We offer three PPO medical plans to choose from, as well as dental and vision insurance.
- Flexible Spending - Because health, childcare, and travel expenses can add up, we offer an FSA that allows for pre-tax dollars to cover medical, dependent care, and transit.
- Student Tuition Remission - You help us create a world-class program for our students. To show our appreciation, we offer your children significant tuition remission to attend our schools.
Note: Spring Education Group, including, but not limited to SEG Inc., BASIS Independent Schools, LLC, and their affiliates (collectively "Company") is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants for employment and employees are provided equal employment opportunities, including in recruitment, hiring, and assignment, without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion and religious creed, sex (including pregnancy and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital or familial status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, military/veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. The Company expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee or student harassment or discrimination.