Band Teacher-Middle & High School
Band Teacher-Middle & High School
BASIS Independent Brooklyn Upper is seeking qualified candidates for a Middle and High School Music/Band Teacher for the upcoming school year!
Who We Are
BASIS Independent Schools is a national network of PreK-12 private, secular schools that educate students to the highest international levels. Our ten campuses, located in some of the most bustling, dynamic metropolitan areas in the country, are part of the BASIS Curriculum Schools global network. We believe in setting a higher standard for students and promoting self-reliance and accountability in a culture where hard work is celebrated and intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary outcomes.
Ranked as one of the "Best College Prep Private High Schools in New York," our campus in Brooklyn, New York is in the center of one of the most influential regions in the world. As such, our facility and campus speaks to the culture of our program and the type of learning community that grows here. BASIS Independent Brooklyn Upper is building a team of talented, passionate, and hard-working educators to ensure our students receive the best education in the world. Join us!
What We're Looking For
As an music and band teacher, you will have the opportunity to introduce band and orchestra students to varied and challenging repertoire, while also building on music history and theory concepts. Music theory concepts covered include written theory, aural skills, and composition; while music history is taught through learning about composers and listening to major musical works from different style periods.
Music and band teachers also expand students’ music skills by working on posture, tone, technique, intonation, expression, and overall musicianship. You will guide students to achieve musical goals both as individuals and as a group, while building a foundation for future musical experiences, whether as a performer or audience member. You will also collaborate with other Fine Arts teachers for school produced shows and events. BASIS Independent teachers are encouraged to bring their own passion and experiences with their subject into the classroom to spark students’ interest and curiosity, and engage them with the material.
Primary Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare subject specific lessons in Music.
- Collaborate with other Fine Arts teachers for school produced shows and events.
- Provide subject instruction on a higher level than grade standard, in an interactive learning environment and delivering exceptional results for all students.
- Implement BASIS Curriculum by designing effective and creative lessons and assessments to ensure students’ education is at an internationally competitive level.
- Collaborate with other BASIS Independent teachers to create interdisciplinary lessons and incorporate music as a part of other areas of knowledge.
- Tutor students in content-specific knowledge and skills to heighten the trajectory of students’ academic and career success.
- Manage student behavior to foster academic achievement, personal responsibility, intellect and individuality in all students.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree in the subject area. Coursework or experience in education is not required, nor is certification. Candidates must have the ability to obtain a fingerprint clearance card.
Preferred Qualifications: Subject matter postgraduate work (Master's or Ph.D.) is preferred. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Critically, an applicant must possess a high GPA in his/her major, excellent recommendations, experience working with children- not necessarily in the classroom- and be open to new ideas in teaching.
BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Salary - Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience.
- Career Growth - We believe our people deserve every opportunity to utilize and expand their knowledge and skills, and to share their passions. From our classrooms to central operations, our culture is one of continuous learning, mentorship, and professional advancement in our schools or across our network.
- Retirement - Your future financial well-being is important to us. Eligible participants may receive a 50% Company match for the first 10% of employee earnings deferred.
- Health Insurance - We want you to have the care you need. We offer three PPO medical plans to choose from, as well as dental and vision insurance.
- Flexible Spending - Because health, childcare, and travel expenses can add up, we offer an FSA that allows for pre-tax dollars to cover medical, dependent care, and transit.
- Student Tuition Remission - You help us create a world-class program for our students. To show our appreciation, we offer your children significant tuition remission to attend our schools.
Note: Spring Education Group, including, but not limited to SEG Inc., BASIS Independent Schools, LLC, and their affiliates (collectively "Company") is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants for employment and employees are provided equal employment opportunities, including in recruitment, hiring, and assignment, without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion and religious creed, sex (including pregnancy and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital or familial status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, military/veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. The Company expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee or student harassment or discrimination.